Monash Dome History
- The mount dates back the late 1940s.
- The telescope was bought by Monash University from the deceased estate of Mr. L. Jeffree in Bendigo in 1968 and the staff and students modified it to take a spectrograph. It was installed here in 1972.
- It was originally a 16 inch mirror in a wooden tube. The wooden tube was unable to handle the weight of the spectrograph and other instruments, so Monash University decided to upgrade.
- The 18 inch mirror was installed in 1984.
- Was last used scientific research by Monash University in 2004.
- MBO Inc. took on the repairs, upkeep and maintenance of the facilities in 2011.